[leps-talk] Miami Blue

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu May 2 17:43:32 EDT 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 09:49 pm, Johnson, Kurt wrote:
> John is right that captive breeding/ release is complex esp. when a
> specific life history in a specific region is not well know.  The good news
> is that at least within "blues" in general there are good models for
> successful reintroduction protocols (Toledo Zoo re reseeding the Ohio Pine
> Breaks with the Karner Blue; same process then followed in Indiana by
> Nature Conservancy and in Ontario by Canadian group); and, at least blues
> are fairly easy to rear.  But, there are always the detailed questions of
> specific life histories and ecological situations-- e.g. whether to "seed"
> as eggs, larvae, adults, combinations etc. and where re suitable habitat
> for sustainence of a population etc.

Releasing butterfies to create new colonies is a popular passtime here in the
UK. However, the research has shown quite conclusively that the vast majority
of attempts _fail_. Fortunately where it succeeds best seems to be with the
Lycaenids. The work with the Large Blue (Maculinea arion) has shown some
sucesses but also some failures. This is where a tremendous amount of work on
the ecolocy of the species has been done. It is of course a phenomenally
complex species as it needs both a foodplant and the grubs of a sensitive ant
species to feed off. It is almost impossible to breed in captivity too.

Then there is the question of  adaptation to captivity. Without trying  to do
so,. if  you rear in captivity you will breed a race adapted to captivity.
This has been shown with fruit flies to happen fairly quickly. If you want a
lepidopterous example look at the Silk Moth Bombyx mori. Its larvae do not
wander and its adults cannot fly. It is perfectly adapted to captivity but
could never survive in the wild.

 The sub-tropical Cyclargus seem to be
> highly vagrant; this introduced another caveate into the soup.  So, yes, it
> is going to have to be some not only well thought out but tooled and
> probably re-tooled as it moves along.  But, there is a TREMENDOUSLY
> important job that the education part has to do with:  and that is the
> public's overall awareness and willingness to go to bat for a butterfly
> when business interests/land development/ money may be working against it.
> Regarding the Karner Blue this has been the real Achille's Heal.  Around
> Albany and the pitch pine savannahs there is real lack of general public
> support for the Karner Blue (punctuated only by dedicated support groups
> like "Save the Pine Bush").  More people need to "CARE" about the species;
> so, one shouldn't consider John's reply to Anne a brush-off.  Actually the
> educational/awareness work is just as important if not more so re: carrying
> the publics willingness to protect these little fellows.

Actually PR and education are _vitally_ important BUT you must give out the
right message.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
NOTE NEW WEB ADDRESS