Karner Blue

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu May 2 17:43:33 EDT 2002

I think there is local support for the Karner Blue, but the development
pressure on the Pine Bush (basically sandy soil with Pitch Pine and
Scrub Oak) continues relentlessly.  The reserve is a patchwork of about
7 non-contiguous polygons of varying size, most of which don't seem to
support the butterfly anyway.  The Lupine has taken a hit probably
unrelated to development, but to fire suppression and closing of canopy.

It's surprising how numerous the Karner Blue can be when there is a good
patch of Lupine (the most accessible is not protected).

I think the discovery of an apparently thriving colony near Saratoga is
reassuring.

Mike Gochfeld