[leps-talk] English has become the lingua franca

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 9 03:34:46 EDT 2002

Barb,
    That is not a problem but an asset! Change of name is usually at the
generic level as more is discovered about relationships; or at the specific
level as old errors are corrected and subspecies are recognized as full
species. I see no problem with a passage from the Araxes Pyrrhopyge to the
Arizona Apphyrothrix if that is what the latest taxonomic opinion requires.
These kind of changes do not happen that often and are usually long overdue
when they do. I have difficulty thinking of this one as the Arizona
Firetail as its tail is not really fiery. You would probably recognize a
Leto Speyery and a Cybely Speyery and probably even a Carpenter's-like
Speyery but you might want to make one or more of these a trinomial
according to the taxonomic opinion of the moment on subspecific relationship.
    The Compton Tortoiseshell (named by Gosse after Compton in the Eastern
Townships of Quebec, where he found it) is an entrenched name of many and
old usage. The recent misspelling of Compton's should be corrected as it
was not named after a person.
    " I would advocate this approach for coining new common names for those
species that did not have a well established American (or Canadian) English
common name." - - - this lets the old favorite names off the hook and the
scientists will just have to look these up.