killing butterflies for fun???

Joseph Sugar josephsugar736 at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 09:25:51 EDT 2002

Hi butterfly lovers,

I am new to this group and did a lot of searching to find you all.  I
recently attended an audubon meeting in my county and the speaker did his
talk on butterflies.  I went expecting to see pictures of live butterflies
and to learn more about them.

Instead, this guy (I won't mention his name - I don't want to get a lynch
mob goin ;)), brought in his collection of butterflies that he killed and
mounted FOR FUN!

Since this is a butterfly group, I know you will be disturbed to hear this,
but I was wondering if there are any laws to protect them?  Can just anyone
go out an kill butterflies just for the fun of it?  He also had a collection
of moths that had pins through them.  This didn't really bother me as much
since most of them are pests, but it would seem to me that we would have
laws to protect some of our most beautiful creatures.  What this guy does,
and others like him, is morally wrong and I intend to turn around this
disturbing trend that murder is okay as long as the perpetrator is having
fun.

Just looking for direction on where to go, and sorry if the discussion of
dead butterflies has ruined your breakfast.

Joseph

Joseph S.
New York, The US of A

"A man who preserves a life, saves a life.
A man who saves a life, gives life.
A man who gives life, is a woman."