Clench and dos Passos

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu May 9 12:23:46 EDT 2002

I never met Harry Clench, but knew his wife Mary (ornithologist) quite well.  I
asked her about the "naming" and she indicated that Harry (relatively modest
according to her, did more than wince, but was embarrassed).

By the way, lepidopterists take note that Chris spelled dos Passos (with a small d)
appropriately.  Cyril dos Passos used the small d, while his better known cousin,
writer John Dos Passos, used a capital D.  More than one editor (including our own)
has run afoul of this, trying to correct authors who got it right in the first
place.
Cyril (if I may call him by his first name) published over 120 entomological
papers, the first appearing when he was 47 years old (prior to that he had been a
practicing lawyer).  So amaeteurs take note.  He "retired" to a 90 acres estate in
Morris County, NJ, and donated his collection of some 65,000 specimens to the AMNH.

dos Passos and Grey did a major revision of Speyeria in 1947, putting together many
forms and variants that had been previously regarded as species. I read it
uncritically and it seemed like a major piece of work (or was it just a "piece of
work"). I've often wondered how fritillary-ologists view that publication.  It was
easy enough for me to call it a landmark.

More interesting reading (or more readable reading) are his life history studies.
MIKE GOCHFELD