Vernacularizing scientific names

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Thu May 9 12:43:42 EDT 2002

Mike, Chris, et al,
Much preferable to me is the system used in Bailowitz and Brock "Butterflies
of Southeastern Arizona" 1991, Sonoran Arthropod Studies, Inc..
The genus/group name was used in English - swallowtail, crescent, duskywing,
etc.  As the modifier they anglicized the specific name.
This makes sense to me because most folks interested in butterflies should
know which genus/group/family they are talking about.
  Examples:
Araxes skipper, Albofasciatus longtail, Aurantiacus skipperling,Orythion
swallowtail, Monuste white, Hyantis marble, etc.
They did not capitalize the group name - which is neither here nor there.
Of course the commoner butterflies kept those names - such as Monarch,
Queen, etc.
This is, by the way, one hell of a book, jam packed with information for the
serious lep student.  They are probably reaching the bottom of the pile and
this book probably will not be reprinted or updated - so get a copy while
you can.

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html