Hey joseph

Jean Michel Maes jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
Thu May 9 12:46:58 EDT 2002

For fun ...
If you knock a children with the car on the road it's a crime, including if it is not done for fun.
If you knock a deer  with the car on the road it's an accident.
If you kill hundreds of moths on the road, knocking them with the car it's just a normal thing...

Sorry about moral, but morals it's not part of ecology, just of human way of see things.

Also remember morality is not the same everywhere and also not the same for everywhere.
For US law, if you kill a horse or a dog it's a crime.
If you kill Serbians, Afghans, Nicaraguans, or other foreign people in their countries, could be a collateral effect.
So, just think killing butterflies (or moths, or cockraoches) could be a collateral effect of study them. I do not thing someone kill butterflies just for the fun, I guess the fun is set them in collection (well, I hope so). I have seen in Nicaragua, US people coming just to kill ducks. The can between 30 or 40 hunters kill some hundreds ducks in 2 or 3 days, and that is just for fun, they didn't eat them, just kill and let. Just to say, I have kill more ducks today than the other hunters.

Probably the best would be a law saying : nabody can kill insects : but than including :
- when you go with the car on the road, you need to put someone walking on the front to move the insects before going on the street.
- can't apply insecticide (that's the professional way of killing, not just killing one by one).
- can't use mosquito burners.
- can remove the bushes around your house.
- can't "clean" the border of the road.
- can't "clean" the border of the ponds (you kill the lovely dragonflies).
If the prohibition to kill insects includes all those points, I think I will be for it. If not, let me kill some insects times to times to study them. Medecine has killed some people times to times to study them also...

Bye,

JM

Dr. Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO