killing butterflies for fun???

Erik Runquist erunquist at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 18:13:07 EDT 2002

  I really shouldn't get involved in this.  In case you are real though (and
we've been had before), here goes...
  Is buterfly (and moth!) collecting a hobby for me and most of the people
on the list?  Yes.  But is this a hobby for the sole joy of killing an
insect and bragging to others? NO!!! It is a means to an end.  The ultimate
goal is to learn about the world around us. Non-consumptive lepping is fine,
but in the end, there are just some things that can not be learned from
watching something (And yes, there are somethings that collecting alone can
not tell us).  The closer we look, the more there is too see.  Many
previously unrecogized cryptic species are arising before our eyes through
the careful examination of COLLECTIONS. Ron and others here would agree, We
can can not preserve what we do not know.
  I think ALL of us can agree that butterflies are powerful PR symbols and
can greatly serve conservation.  Indeed, they have been cited in the local
media as one of the main reasons for the recent creation of a National
Monument here in southwest Oregon.  What if we did not know that something
was there?  Old museum specimens (from private collector hobbyists!) have
led to the re-discovery of "lost" populations of relictual species.
Hands-on catching and collecting spawned and then re-ignited my life's
passion for leps, and has done so for most life-long lepidopterists.
  Also, I think you underestimate me and the people on this list.  While
some recent posts may be percieved as rather personal and brash, many of the
people here are in academia and collect for science, not for personal gain.
Please try not to sweep with broad strokes.
  Erik Runquist