Butterflies on Fort Hood, TX

Ryan rvandermoor at shaw.ca
Tue May 14 15:50:03 EDT 2002

Sorry for the crossposting.

Well I am back from my gand adventure to Texas!  I have never been to
Texas before, so this was a first visit.  I was very impressed with Austin,
what a beautiful city.  The U of Austin was very nice as well.  Spent the
first two days and last night in Austin.  Saw a few butterflies in Austin,
mostly on University property.  Hairstreaks and Skippers mostly... the
majority of the time was spent in Kileen.... and our surveys of course were
done on Fort Hood.  Met many wonderful people from The Nature Conservatory.
The general atmosphere around the Fort was quite different from the only
other military for I have been on (Fort Huachuca in AZ) Alot of military
personnel seemed to always be in a good mood. Even dancing and singing at
the main gate.  It was also quite different to be out surveying butterflies
while tanks roam around, helicopters fly overhead and hummers constantly
stream by.  On the Fort we sampled a variety of habitats:

       Open meadow
       Riparian
       Mesa top
       Hillside
       Golden Cheeked Warbler Habitat
       Black Capped Vireo Habitat
       Edge

 We came across a total of 37 species of butterflies.  Apparently
butterfly pops are quite low due to the drought this year.  Maybe there will
be a chance to go back in the fall and re-sample.  In any event the
butterflies encountered are in alphabetic order and as follows:

(please ignore any spelling mistakes, as im sure there are a few)
p.s. the dates I was there were may 3-11 with surveys from the 5th-10th

       Altides haleus
       Anaea andria
       Asterocampa celtis
       Asterocampa clyton