Memorial Day Butterfly Count

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Fri May 17 19:49:14 EDT 2002

Jeff Glassberg asked that we forward this to those who may be interested.
Even if you do not want to participate - check out the "Butterflies I have
seen" on the website referred to below. It is cool!

Hank Brodkin

PRESS RELEASE:
NABA LAUNCHES BUTTERFLY DATABASE WITH
FIRST ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY BUTTERFLY COUNT

WHEN: May 25, 26, & 27, 2002 (Memorial Day Weekend)

CONTACTS: Jeffrey Glassberg, President (973) 285-0907

WHAT: The North American Butterfly Association is inviting members of the
public to look for and count butterflies over the Memorial Day Weekend, then
send their reports to a newly-created database called "Butterflies I Have
Seen."  With this first annual Memorial Day Weekend Count, NABA is
officially launching its database, which will become one of the largest
biological databases in the world.
WHO &
WHERE: Everyone can participate, anywhere outdoors!  People can count
butterflies in their yards, in parks, in wildlife areas  - wherever they see
butterflies.  Observations can be for as little as one half-hour or for the
entire weekend.  Observers are then encouraged to report their sightings, by
species and number of species, to the "Butterflies I Have Seen" database at
www.naba.org.

WHY: People who observe and count butterflies not only contribute to our
knowledge of butterfly populations and distribution/range, but they also
personally benefit because the database allows them to keep track of all
their field trips and all the butterflies they have ever seen (life list).

NABA is a non-profit membership association whose mission is to increase
public enjoyment and conservation of butterflies.  The largest group in
North America interested in butterflies, NABA has 30 chapters and 4500
members.

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html