Memorial Day Butterfly Count

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 22:47:27 EDT 2002

This is exactly what Cornell Laboratory of ornitology is aiming at by
Fall for birds. with all days and any trips. Once Names are
standardised this (NABA's can have some significance.
--- Hank Brodkin <hbrodkin at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jeff Glassberg asked that we forward this to those who may be
> interested.
> Even if you do not want to participate - check out the "Butterflies
> I have
> seen" on the website referred to below. It is cool!
>
> Hank Brodkin
>

> PRESS RELEASE:
> NABA LAUNCHES BUTTERFLY DATABASE WITH
> FIRST ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY BUTTERFLY COUNT
>
> WHEN: May 25, 26, & 27, 2002 (Memorial Day Weekend)
>
> CONTACTS: Jeffrey Glassberg, President (973) 285-0907
>
> WHAT: The North American Butterfly Association is inviting members
> of the
> public to look for and count butterflies over the Memorial Day
> Weekend, then
> send their reports to a newly-created database called "Butterflies
> I Have
> Seen."  With this first annual Memorial Day Weekend Count, NABA is
> officially launching its database, which will become one of the
> largest
> biological databases in the world.
> WHO &
> WHERE: Everyone can participate, anywhere outdoors!  People can
> count
> butterflies in their yards, in parks, in wildlife areas  - wherever
> they see
> butterflies.  Observations can be for as little as one half-hour or
> for the
> entire weekend.  Observers are then encouraged to report their
> sightings, by
> species and number of species, to the "Butterflies I Have Seen"
> database at
> www.naba.org.
>
> WHY: People who observe and count butterflies not only contribute
> to our
> knowledge of butterfly populations and distribution/range, but they
> also
> personally benefit because the database allows them to keep track
> of all
> their field trips and all the butterflies they have ever seen (life
> list).
>
> NABA is a non-profit membership association whose mission is to
> increase
> public enjoyment and conservation of butterflies.  The largest
> group in
> North America interested in butterflies, NABA has 30 chapters and
> 4500
> members.
>
> --------------------
> Hank Brodkin
> Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
> hbrodkin at earthlink.net
> SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
> http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
> "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
> by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
> http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates & Clean Millennium Movement (C2M)
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale