[leps-talk] MALE x FEMALE emergence

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 22 22:57:43 EDT 2002

My Montana experience is based on more than 2k sample size. A few
interspecific pairings were taken in the field. Variation of adults "looks
like" 2 to 5 percent intermediates between most "species" and is continuous
between all species groups and across the boundary to "*Semnopsyche*".
    In a sample of 100 I would expect few intermediates, but it is
possible. Look at the structure of the valvae, Where these differ, the
intermediates in pattern will be intermediate in valve shape too.
    Don't feel bad about the size of my sample. The whole canyon was
subject to an inferno of a fire after my study was completed. My study was
done between 1964 and 1984 and was preceded by an inferno of a fire in
1911. The canyon (East Rosebud Canyon, Carbon Co.) is recovering nicely and
is ready to resample. It will be interesting to see wat the species
structure is now.