Cynthia

Andrew Brower browera at science.oregonstate.edu
Mon Nov 4 14:57:08 EST 2002

Hi Bill et al.,

Cynthia resurrected by W. D. Field (1971, Smithsonian Contrib. Zool. 84)
for
cardui, kershawi, virginiensis, altissima, braziliensis, terpsichore,
myrinna, annabella, carye

Vanessa ss. is for atalanta, tameamea, samani, indica, dejeanii

Bassaris ss. for itea and gonerilla

Lately, the monophyly of Vanessa + Cynthia + Bassaris  has been
supported by molecular and morphological cladistic analysis by Nylin et
al (2001, Biol. J. Linn Soc. 132:441-468), although they do not have an
opinion on whether the clade should be one genus or three.

Cheers,

Andy Brower