Interspecific vs intergeneric hybrids

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Nov 8 20:58:18 EST 2002

With regards to the hybrid hummers I mentioned, I am pleased to be able to
answer the question Bob posted.

"Bob Parcelles,Jr." wrote: "Excellent points Michael, The isolating factors
may be much more ancient and therefore less inhibiting. the key is do (or
did they) produce fertile offspring.  A hard thing to study in leps.

BOB ET AL.  Whatever those hybrid hummers may have done in the past is
unknown.  They all ended up flat on their back in museum trays where they
may be found to this day in quiet, contemplative repose.

Mike Gochfeld