Hessel's Hairstreak in the Northeast

Carol Lemmon carol.lemmon at po.state.ct.us
Mon Oct 21 10:06:43 EDT 2002

Greetings all:

We are working on a manual of the conifer defoliating lepidoptera of the
Northeast US, and are having some difficulty in resolving the flight period
for Hessel's Hairstreak.  We have some evidence of at least a partial second
flight in the Voluntown area of Connecticut in late July and early August,
but some have disputed this possibility.  Has anyone out there who has done
research and/or collecting in the Northeast US come across any summer
flights of this species?  Any information would be greatly appreciated in
helping to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff Fengler
CT Agricultural Experiment Station