Sparring Bugs Question

Nigel Venters nigelventers at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 22 14:37:16 EDT 2002

Doug,
This is quite a normal male activity for quite a few species of butterfly. Even well known migrants like carienta when in a sedentary phase, it's European cousin, which looks very similar, is Libythea celtis and acts in the same way. Males often have a favourite perch, from which they fly of and chase any females of their own species in the hope of pairing. These perches are pugnaciously defended by the males, and they often return to the exact same twig after a chase. If another male of the same species is now occupying the twig, when the butterfly returns...a fight ensues...and the dominant male gains the perch. They don't care too much what flies by...but they always see anything that does as a threat...and chase it away. It's amazing how small butterfly species defend their perches and chase away even the largest butterfly that flies by. This is a well known trait of many species and is often observed by patient observers. In your case...the passing Monarchs just want to move on after such an attack...they have no interest in defending any territory. I have seen huge migrations (Multi-millions of them!) of Libythea in Africa...where all this bad behaviour is forgotten and they are quite happy to co-exist in dense populations without the least sign of aggression.
hope this is of interest.
Nigel