[leps-talk] Mission: educating watchers

Bill Yule droberts03 at snet.net
Tue Oct 22 15:32:18 EDT 2002

Hi all.
   I'd like to respond to Ken's post and several recent threads at once and
since Leps-talk has been receptive to my rambles before I'm going to let
fly:
1.  I heartily second everything Ken says about the possibilities of peace
in the watcher/collector lepidopteron beast.  I've said it before, I'll say
it again:  We all have something to contribute to the important work of
research, education, conservation and fellowship.  The only prerequisite to
success in these endeavors is mutual respect. To sum up; it's always better
to build bridges than to pick at scabs.
2.  The 2nd law. As several have pointed out Thermodynamics is a
mathematical construct that describes an equivalency within CLOSED SYSTEMS:
Total energy remains constant. The 2nd law simply describes the trend of the
nature of the change in the form of that energy to degrade (i.e. increase
random motion or heat). Apparent exceptions to the second law are the result
of energy entering the system(the equation) from somewhere outside the
boundaries of the system. If you want to consider the Universe (all matter
and energy) the closed system and then say that something outside the system
created the system (a Creator) that's fine, but I don't see that is saying
anything other than I believe in a first cause because I believe. No
physical laws have been excepted.
3. Creation. I think one's relationship to Creation and a Creator or "first
cause" is personal, subjective and neither provable nor disprovable and
therefore outside the domains of science, logic or the Laws of Physics.  I
think these sidetrips get in the way of useful and stimulating discussions
of important lepidopteron issues (but that's just one man's opinion of
moonlight as they say).
4. Glassberg books.  I've said this before too:  The Glassberg books have
and continue to fill an important niche market for user friendly field
guides for people who are new to lepidoptery and will have their first good
looks at butterflies in natural resting positions in the field through the
new technology of high-quality close-focus binoculars. It is a simplified
introduction to a complex and tremendously fascinating and engaging subject.
Whether some or many of those so introduced will move on to serious studies,
better books and important scientific contributions is an unknown.  Some
will, some won't.  Many will move on to looking at dragonflies, tiger
beetles, wasps and whatever else becomes visible through the technology.  So
what?
4. The lunatic fringe. Extremists of most any stripe distract from the
important issues.  I think that the extreme points of view that keep coming
around to various lists exist only to the extent that they provoke extreme
reactions from ordinary folk.  Let them howl at the moon by themselves.
5. Listserves. I do Leps-talk, Leps-L, CT-leps, VA-MD-DE-Bugs.  I like them
all quite a bit.  It's a biodiversity of News/Discussion groups.

Regards'

Bill Yule