Do butterflies urinate?

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 1 16:49:29 EDT 2002

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Mark Gerard Miller wrote:
>
>> This is a serious question.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> In a general sense yes. On emergence from the pupa they produce an liquid
> often reddish or pinkish in colour called meconium. This contains the
> waste products from the pupal stage.

Someone has just reminded me of another phenomenon I have observed.
When drinking from puddles I have observed Swallowtails excreting the wast
liquid from the anal area.
I saw this once in the upper amazon region in Ecuador.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog