[leps-talk] Attn: Mark Walker has competition

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 4 11:10:07 EDT 2002

Just back from China, where, as Harry so eloquently put it, we had a
roadside stop where I saw about 30 whites (mostly Cabbage White, Pieris
rapae, but also some Pontias), about 10 skippers (of three species), and
a large brown butterfly (spectacular, but not identified).  Sorry to be
less eloquent than Alex and Mark, but that's what we saw at one rest
stop.

Buddleia is native to China and is a common roadside weed.  At another
pit stop, there were about a dozen Buddleia in a swale below the road.
Within a distance of less than 100 m, we estimated about 1200
swallowtails of only two species (but what species), and miscellaneous
nymphalids.

I have two of the Holarctic Dabrera volumes (someone must have borrowed
vol 3), as well as Butterflies of Hong Kong (a great, but expensive
book), but it's been a real pain to sort out what we saw in western
China, not to mention the dozen species seen in a Tokyo park.

Any suggestions for other id sources.   I did get some digital photos
which I'll post as soon as I learn the new technology.   Mike Gochfeld