Larvae in Danger?

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 10 11:16:49 EDT 2002

I recall reading a while ago on this mail-list discussions about genetically
engineered corn and how it might endanger butterfly populations.  Frankly I
didn't pay much attention as I really did not understand (nor take the
trouble to investigate) what was involved.
I am in the midst of reading a collection of essays: "Small Wonder" by
Barbara Kingsolver, an award winning local author with a strong biological
background.  One of the essays is entitled "A Fist in the Eye of God"  about
the dangers in general to the world's crops' gene pools including the recent
genetically engineering of corn.
I am not going to quote relevant passages here for the sake of brevity - but
MS Kingsolver clearly explains the problem for those who are interested.
The book should be in any public library now, but you might want to buy it
for your own.

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html