Base Behavior of Butterflies...

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Tue Sep 17 19:00:10 EDT 2002

Hello, all you snipers...

All this talk about the seamier-side to butterfly ethology is well and
good....

BUT...you forgot to mention that the reason that butterflies are NOT
maligned in the same manner as the other insects you mentioned is because
they AREN'T on the same level as PESTS to the human species as spiders,
flies, roaches and mosquitoes are (!)  Butterflies don't "bite," "sting,"
foul our food, cause diseases, or buzz in our ears...  They don't even
produce a "shock value" when they appear unexpectedly!

They may posess the same filthy habits of other insects, but they don't
raise our blood pressure or produce screams of fear when encountered...
EXCEPT when they are encountered in unnatural surroundings like butterfly
tents... then they DO (on occasion) cause alarm to the uninitiated when
they do the unexpected, i.e. lay eggs on people...

Mary Beth Prondzinski

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.