[leps-talk] Heliconius charithonius in Dallas, Texas...sort of...

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 20 11:38:16 EDT 2002

When I first heard that the Massachusetts Queens was the western subspecies, I
thought that this INCREASED the likelihood of a wild, natural origin. Others
have the opposite view (Alex, Harry?).  Don't we northeasterners get a lot of
emigrants from the southwest (Painted Lady, comes to mind first).  It points out
the usefulness (or at least the interest) of subspecific identification.  But,
that still leaves us a controversy to sort out.

And no, I don't seem to have saved (or perhaps even seen) a photo of the New
Jersey Queen.

Mike Gochfeld