[leps-talk] Heliconius charithonius in Dallas, Texas...sort o f...

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Fri Sep 20 11:50:20 EDT 2002

Mike,

Yes, except that Painted Ladies and all the others that migrate (or
disperse) into the northeast during late summer akso range up the east coast
from the southeast, also that this is a normal and annual event for those
species. But NOT strigosus. If it did, then we would be consistently finding
records of it all the time, and these records would occur throughout the
eastern part of the upper Midwest, and also along the coastal plain. But
this is not the case for strigosus.

As I said, look at the USGS map for strigosus. It's a lower Great Plains
immigrant (we can almost add - ONLY). Now just because I never saw it in TN
or OH or Wichita Falls, TX  doesn't of course, mean it wasn't there
(especially the latter, but not seeing a single one over the course of more
than 3 weeks was remarkable, and there were a LOT of things flying). But
especially in western TN, I DID see some of the immigrants over the course
of almost 2 years, including Agraulis vanillae nigrior, Zerene cesonia,
Phoebis sennae eubule etc. but not strigosus.

And, really, HOW would strigosus get to Marblehead? From Missouri. And look
at the photos: It's an immaculate specimen. Sorry, I just don't believe it.

Alex

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown below. Thank you for your cooperation.