Arroyo Seca, Monterey Co. CA - April 6

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Apr 18 13:58:05 EDT 2003

During several recent jaunts between SoCal and NoCal, I managed to take some
time to explore some of my favorite Central Coast locations.  As others have
recently reported, the butterfly activity of eastern SLO County has been
surprisingly low - and I found this to be the case over several explorations
during early April.  But on April 6th I ventured into the Ventana
"Wilderness of the Santa Lucia Mountains in Monterey County, CA., and found
most of the expected springtime species to be present and active - even
under mostly cloudy skies.

This area was still wet from recent rainfall, and the temperatures never
exceeded 65 degrees F, but by 10:00 a.m. the butterflies started to make
their presence known.  At first it was Celastrina ladon (Spring Azure),
Callophrys dumetorum (Bramble Hairstreak), Coenonympha californica
(California Ringlet), Glaucopsyche lygdamus (Silvery Blue), Anthocharis sara
(Sara Orangetip), Icarioides augustinus (Brown Elfin), Plebejus acmon (Acmon
Blue), and Erynnis propertius (Propertius Duskywing) that were the most
common.  As the day moved on other species began to make a showing.
Exceedingly fresh Euphydryas chalcedona (Variable Checkerspot) began flying,
along with Chlosyne gabbii (Gabb's Checkerspot).  The Swallowtails began
flying also - first Papilio rutulus (Western Tiger), and then Papilio
eurymedon (Pale Swallowtail), both quite common by noon.  A newly emerged
Adelpha bredowii (California Sister) flitted about a lingering mud puddle.
Vanessa virginiensis (American Lady) and Vanessa annabella (Western Lady)
were common, and Zerene Eurydice (California Dogface) were occasional.
Junonia coenia (Common Buckeye) was also common.

The Arroyo was really swelling, full of runoff from the recent storms and
far from being "Seca" (dry).  The area is delightful, sporting a high floral
and faunal diversity, and highly recommended for butterfly and outdoor
enthusiasts alike.  The river features some of the nicest swimming holes
I've seen in Southern California (and I like to find them).

This area will soon be exploding with butterfly activity, but it's always
nice to be present when the first spring individuals begin their annual
courting rituals.

Mark Walker