Releasers - Anne Kilmer couldn't possibly be more wrong!

Bill Yule droberts03 at snet.net
Sun Apr 27 11:07:13 EDT 2003

Hi philosophers.  My $.02.

        Rear and release is tinkering with the biota.  Tinkering with the
biota has unknown effects at any scale you might image; population, genetic,
individual, environmental, etc... Humans have always done this haven't they?
They will continue to do this won't they?
Sometimes we humans like the effects of the tinkering.  Sometimes we don't.
Sometimes the effects don't manifest until after our puny lifespan have
expired.

I don't see what logic has to do with this.
    Logic is, if anything, taking a sequence of "knowns" and exchanging the
"parts" to yield a new combination that doesn't contradict the original
knowns.
     Or the "other" logic where a statistical sequence of "knowns" is used
to predict the next probable event in the sequence.

Some logic based on the theme of Jurassic Park:
        Tinkering with the biota has unknown and often surprisingly
unforeseen consequences
         Sometimes the tinkering is well informed and sometimes it is not
well informed.
        Informed or not, our tinkering (rear and release, whatever) will
have surprising outcomes whether we're here to notice them or not. Some of
us will like those outcomes, others won't.

                                                   Happy days,
                                                         Bill Yule