Releasers - Anne Kilmer couldn't possibly be more wrong!

Xi Wang xiwang at sprint.ca
Sun Apr 27 18:06:21 EDT 2003

Ah, but again I can make the same point and ask at what point is the cutoff
for "significant fraction"?  Moreover, your statement implies that there is
such a cutoff, so let's assume you release only 1 butterfly, the least
number possible.  It is not a significant fraction (if it was, then you're
saying we should release less than 1), but that is not a necessary and
sufficient condition to guarantee that the frequency of alleles will not be
changed significantly.  If this organism has genes which makes it even 1%
fitter than the individuals in the local population, simple Hardy-Weinberg
equations show that in a few hundred generations, the alleles responsible
for conferring this fitness will be present in 99% of the population.  How's
that for significance?

Cheers,
Xi Wang