White-lined Sphinx migration

Monarchrst at aol.com Monarchrst at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 17:42:38 EDT 2003

Since it is getting close to "Moth"er's Day, I thought I would let those that
are interested know that there is a pretty big migration(?) of white-lined
sphinx Hyles lineata going on down here in the lower desert.  Cannot be sure
that they are migrating since one cannot get direction of flights at night,
but the numbers are quite large.  I am getting between 300 and 500 adults per
night to a 15 watt black light, which certainly catches one's attention.

These numbers have been running about a week now, a little after the painted
lady migration.  Probably both population increases have been due to the
increased abundance of desert annuals in the areas that received spring
showers around here.

Ian Watkinson, Yuma, Arizona