Giant Swallowtail status---for what it's worth

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Aug 14 15:46:04 EDT 2003

Giant Swallowtails were apparently formerly resident in northern NJ,
southern NY, southwest New England. Their host, Prickly Ash, is not
uncommon.  Why would they have experienced a range retraction.  Some of
our forest species suffered during Gypsy Moth spray campaigns.  Some of
our open country species suffered from mosquito control activities.  In
any rate, we have only about two NJ records in the past decade.

"The larvae and pupae of this species are sold commercially and the
resulting adults are often released rendering suspect any sighting of
this species in New Jersey" (Butterflies of NJ p. 123).

This refers to the sale of larvae and pupae to schools and nature camps
so that children can observe the metamorphosis.  The emerging adults are
usually released (according to my discussions with school teachers).

Mike Gochfeld