Butterfly information, please

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Tue Aug 26 12:17:09 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I have recently had a request from a magazine (Discovery) which is looking for some information on a couple of butterflies. I posted this request on Entomo-L list last week, so I apologize if you are receiving it twice. (I have only just subscribed to Leps-L. If I had been a member last week this would have been the first place I would have posted the request!)

The magazine wants to write captions for photos, so doesn't need a lot of information, but for each of the two species would like to know the status, likely population size, obvious threats, and any unusual facts about them that would make an interesting caption.

The two butterflies are:
Anteos menippe (Pieridae). The photo the magazine will use was taken in Satipo, Peru.
Papilio palinurus  (Papilionidae). The photo the magazine will use was taken in Boak, Philippines.

Thank you for any information you can pass on to me.

Best wishes,
    Matthew
Matthew Shepherd, Pollinator Conservation Program Director
The Xerces Society
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215, USA
Tel: 503-232 6639 Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: mdshepherd at xerces.org
The Xerces Society is a nonprofit organization
dedicated to protecting the diversity of life
through the conservation of invertebrates.

For information and membership details,
see our website at www.xerces.org