Visit out in the field

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Sun Jan 5 15:55:06 EST 2003

Well, with all of the warm San Diego temperatures the past 4 days, I had to
go out and check some things out.  I went over to the Famosa slough, which
is a small tidal estuary that empties into the San Diego River Flood
Channel.  I know some of the founders of the Friends group and have always
been curious about Panoquina errans.  They have been doing some extensive
restoration and enlarging the pickleweed and saltgrass habitat.

Well I had no evidence of overwintering larvae today but I did have a few
interesting insects, a good look at a scorpionfly an andrenid bee and in the
butterfly department I had 4 Nymphalis antiopa and 4 (2M, 2F) Brephidium
exila.  The Mourning Cloaks were hanging around the willows and the Pygmy
Blues were, as usual, hanging around the saltbush.

So, if the temperatures cool back down and we continue to get some winter
rains, it is possible we could have some decent Springtime butterflies.

Michael Klein
San Diego, sunny and 75 degrees.