leps-list not dead, but sleeping

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Jul 9 11:28:08 EDT 2003

Michael G. wrote:

> It has always been "global climate change",  warming is just one part of
> it.  The maps that have been published for years emphasize that some
> extreme drought in some areas, extreme rainfall in others, will be the
> major changes.  The media (at least in a coastal state like ours),
> jumped on "warming" and "sea level rise" for their interest.  But I bet
> in the mid-west, they are more interested in the fact that hundred year
> floods are occurring with increasing frequency.

That's very interesting - because "global warming" has indeed been
propagated by the media AND various lobbyists as a "global trend" - that is,
that the curve is slowly moving towards higher temperatures globally, not
changing in all directions all over the place.  Just what exactly is "global
climate change", anyway?  The phenomenon whereby local climates change
globally?  Or the phenomenon where the "global climate" is changing?  Can
there be more than one global climate?  If there is indeed only one, then is
it is either warming, cooling, or cyclically doing both.  If it is doing
both, then what is the period of the oscillation?  If it is doing both, then
why are we suggesting that man has somehow artificially created the
localized trend?

There - that should stir things up a bit.

Mark.