Carbon and forests

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Jul 10 09:10:56 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Gochfeld" <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>
To: <jshuey at tnc.org>
Cc: "Leps List" <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: Carbon and forests

> Fortunately butterflies seem more tolerant of fragmented meadows, but we
need to
> develop a conservation ethic for early successional stages.
>
> A forest planted is a grassland lost.
>
> MIKE GOCHFELD

I'd have to rank tree farming as the #1 thing that disturbs me here in the
South.  Their is nothing more sickening than to collecting some really good
hairstreaks and skippers in a limited semi-native area and to its side and
across the road see nothing but acres and acres of _rows_ of pine trees.
Trees are weeds.

Ron

PS   A weed is any plant growing where one does not want it to at.