Carbon and forests

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Thu Jul 10 16:17:08 EDT 2003

Mike's questions relative to the cost grassland restoration versus
reforestation is a reflection of several factors.

First - site preparation is very different between the two restoration
types.  For forest projects, we may have some field drains to break, but
usually there is little in the way of earth moving involved.  Obvious
surface drains are disrupted to restore infiltration patterns.

And tree seedlings can compete with most weeds, so a simple strip herbicide
treatment is all that you need for initial weed control.  Two years of
follow-up control are usually needed - either mowing or strip herbicide
treatments - mostly to keep allelopathic weeds down in the planted rows.

In contrast - Indiana prairie is all about hydrology - so very careful work
is the rule.  The idea is that surface fluctuations and that seasonal timing
of hydrological cycles controls community structure - so inches count (at
KSands - 11 sq miles are mapped at 6-inch contours with 2" accuracy).

Prairie establishment is very sensitive to initial "weed" control.  If reed
canary grass gets into a prairie planting - that's all you will have - the
same with smooth brome, cheat grass, etc...  So we usually treat prairie
restorations with herbicide up to three times in the season before the
seeding takes place.  Follow-up usually involved mowing the annual weeds for
at least  year following initial planting.

Second, - when we plant trees, we are not trying to "restore" forest in a
single step.  We are planting heavy masted trees (oak and hickory mostly)
and controlling weeds for 2-3 years.  Step 2 comes after the heavy masted
saplings are established - and light seeded species "blow" in - cottonwood,
poplar, ash...  - this is without cost.  Step three is at some point in the
future (after canopy closure, ~15 years), when we try and figure out what
actions are required to establish a native herbaceous community.  We have
not done this part yet - and it may involve using very expensive seeds.  Or
it may just involve natural recolonization from adjacent forests.  We don't
know if this phase has a price or not.

In contrast, restoring prairie is more of a "one-shot" deal.  At KSands,
about 330 species of native plants are planted each year.  Our mixes are
designed so that about 20 seeds hit the ground per square foot.

Third, society values trees more than grass.  Our DNR grows and distributes
at cost, local genotype tree seedlings.  So, no-one makes a penny on the
seedlings, and the state tree nurseries are vast, growing trees on an
industrial scale.

In contrast, we had to establish our own seed nursery at KSands (and are
adding a greenhouse this summer as well). Buying prairie seed on the open
market s not an option (Carex stricta - a great butterfly hostplant, runs
about $1K/lb - we plant about 30 lbs per year).   120 species are grown
under nursery conditions (~130 acres), and over 200 species are collected in
the wild (in usually inadequate amounts).  So again, while we are generating
the seed at cost, our nursery is not industrial sized, and the cost per unit
is pretty high.  All told, we employ 3 full-time staff in support of this,
and between 7-10 seasonal interns.

The cumulative impact of these differences really add up when it comes to
the final cost per acre.

John Shuey
Director of Conservation Science
Indiana Office of The Nature Conservancy