Global Warming

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Sun Jul 13 13:45:11 EDT 2003

Pat Foley wrote:

> I am utterly convinced that continuing to pump large amounts of
> greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is foolishly dangerous. As a
> citizen and father, I feel like an irresponsible failure for letting
> such stupid things happen. How about you?

Pat, I don't see much evidence that college professors and the leaders
of major environmental groups are seriously worried about global
warming. If they were, they'd be willing to make serious lifestyle changes
to reduce greenhouse gas production. Serious changes like adopting
children instead of creating them, driving smaller vehicles and buying
smaller homes.  Instead, I see college professors have
successfully lobbied for salary increases that have outpaced the Consumer
Price Index by an increasingly wider margin each year for the past two
decades http://www.saber.net/~monarch/faculty.jpg  Professors are
using part of this extra money to buy larger, heavier, less fuel efficient
vehicles and larger, more resource consumptive homes in luxuriously
landscaped subdivisions which consume large amounts of open space.

So Pat I'm not going to get too excited about greenhouse gas production
until I start seeing biological science professors worried enough
about it to start driving 4 cylinder two wheel drive compact cars,
compact station wagons and mini-trucks like they used to drive back in
the 1970's.  And start living in modest 1200-1400 square foot homes
like they used to when they couldn't afford anything bigger.   Will college
professors and highly paid environmentalists ever likely make these
lifestyle changes? Well one clue is that none of the major environmental
organizations are encouringing the public to stop having children, buying
SUV's, Vans or at least stop buying 6 and 8 cylinder models or four wheel
drive / all wheel drive models or to stop buying large homes to help combat
global warming.  For example, the Union of Concerned Scientists website
merely recommends:

"When you buy your next car, look for the one with the best fuel
 economy in its class."   "If you own more than one vehicle, use the less
fuel-efficient one only when you can fill it with passengers‹a full minivan
may be kinder to the environment than using two midsized cars."

and the Environmental Defense Fund website says only:

"When selecting a new car or truck, shop for the greenest vehicle available
that meets your needs and fits your budget."

And when buying a new home the environmental groups
say nothing about selecting a small home on a small lot to minimize the
production of greenhouse gases and to conserve more wild land.
Instead, they just encourage the public to equip their huge new homes
with energy efficient appliances, heaters and air conditioners.

In summary, neither college professors nor the highly paid leaders of
the major environmental groups are worried enough about global warming to
give up their luxury lifestyles and go back to the days of owning compact
4 cylinder vehicles and small homes and lots.  So that tells me they are
not seriously worried about global warming.

Paul Cherubini