Dogma and peer review

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Jul 12 07:18:10 EDT 2003

Interesting Pat.  But is it as general truth that academics benefit
fromchallenging dogma.  There is a countervailing trend that it is
easier to get funded if you stick close to the prevailing dogma,since
the people who review grants are chosen based on their "experience"
which is usually congruent with whatever the dogma happens to be this
week.

That's why I have always been skeptical of the peer review process----at
least as the sole criteria or final judge for funding and publication.

Anyway, I agree with Pat about the evidence, the cause, and the folly.

MIKE GOCHFELD