Counts vs Pollard Transects

Floyd Lucas floyd_lucas at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:07:19 EDT 2003

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever tried using Pollard transects in rugged terrain? I tried it
in an area on the north coast of Trinidad (West indies) called Madamas,
which is fairly wild with frquent steep hills covered by a high canopy
forest. Besides the rain, steepness, pit vipers and general tiredness from
hiking all day (I was actually researching birds and bats with some friends
of mine), the transects gave very little because of the high canopy.  Even
with binoculars, there was just too much I was missing.  It got me thinking
of other areas I have sampled for butterflies, like Blanquizales Swamp (in
south Trinidad) and again the same problem, this time due to presence of
water bodies and inaccessible mangrove areas.  Anyway, I am just 'trying'
standard methods of collecting and study, to move past Leps being just an
interest (and would appreciate some advice!).

Floyd Lucas