Need help with butterfly id

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Mar 12 12:04:33 EST 2003

Well, I think your first is in fact Thorybes bathyllus (Southern
Cloudywing).  This is based on the arrangement and size of spots.  I think
you got the second one right - Calaphelis mutica (Swamp Metalmark).  Very
nice.  The third is also correct - Chlosyne nycteis (Silvery Checkerspot) -
though the hindwing is lacking much of the normal black scaling (kinda makes
it look like harrisii, but the underside is a giveaway).  The Silvery
Checkerspot looks phenotypically distinct on both sides from those I've
collected further east.  Anyone?

Mark Walker.