[moth-rah] why I prefer moths from Steve Johnson

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Wed Nov 12 09:47:48 EST 2003

Steve Johnson wrote:

>I collected in Ocean county NJ on Sat. Nov. 1.  Very few butterflies
>seen (mostly sulphurs), but oh, the moths.
>Here's the list.
>
>Hemileuca maia
>Agrotis ipsilon
>Anicla infecta
>Xestia elimata
>Psectraglaea carnosa
>Pseudaletia unipuncta
>Epiglaea apiata
>Lithophane patefacta
>Chaetaglaea sericea
>Chaetaglaea tremula
>Xylotype capax
>Eupsilia morrisoni
>Eupsilia tristigmata
>Eupsilia vinulenta
>Eupsilia sidus . . . (48 species total)
>
>I saw at least a dozen different species the next night in
>Cumberland county.
>Moths rule!!!

I agree (though anyone who knows me knew this already).  I must admit,
however, that this November has been pretty interesting.  Here's a little
tale . . .
_____________

Last week (Nov. 6) I found my first specimen of Meropleon cosmion from
Georgia at a Gas Station I visit every morning on my way to work.  The
reason I visit is, of course, to check for the moths that came into the
lights the previous night.  Well, the Meropleon cosmion was a real pleasant
surprise -- although undoubtedly in S. GA, I had no idea it ever made it
this far north.  The only drawback was that when I went to take the
specimen off the boards . . . AAAHH, something had *eaten* most of it. It
was the only moth on the board that was touched (isn't this one of the
axiom's of Murphy's Law?). I don't think it was a mouse -- there are no
other indications that it was something that large and I believe it would
have eaten a number of other things on the board. My guess is something
like a house centipede (Scutigiera sp.). There was a head and just enough
thorax left to glue back to the pin and give me something to glue the wings
to. Yeah, all four wings came through in reasonably decent shape. Oh well,
at least I still have an *identifiable* specimen -- as I mentioned above,
it is my only one from Georgia.

Well, I went to NE GA over this past weekend, with the hope of getting a
few very late season moths.  Although there were very few moths
encountered, I did happen to get a couple of brand new moths for
Georgia.  A late fall geometrid, Epirrita autumnata was flying, and
spreading the Epirrita autumnata took away some of the sting of the eaten
M. cosmion, and a Lithophane species I got seems likely to be laticinerea,
another new moth for GA, so that made me feel better as well.

And, to top it all off, last night on my porch I was looking around at the
many moths that came in (mostly Plathypena scabra) and noticed a silhouette
of a plusiine and went to investigate. Turns out my first thought when
looking at it was the thyatirid Pseudothyatira cymatophoroides, but it
didn't really match. Then I realized I was looking at my first ever
Mouralia tinctoides. It is now on the boards, inside a cabinet so it won't
get eaten, along with the NE GA stuff.

Oh yeah, got a reasonably fresh Catocala robinsoni on the way to work this
morning at the same gas station!

James

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website:
    http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/
Also check out the Southern Lepidopterists' Society new Website:
    http://www.southernlepsoc.org/