Monarch Extinction press releases.

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 17:37:50 EST 2003

sebrez at webtv.net (Ken Hansen) wrote in message news:<17563-3FB4C277-5 at storefull-2317.public.lawson.webtv.net>...
> Not a major threat but I think something to be considered is the
> non-native plant known as japanese bamboo here in the northeast (I live
> in Delaware County). It is now growing everywhere you look and is
> spreading rapidly. I have seen places where it completely covers areas
> of meadow the size of a football field. I understand it is being looked
> at by the conservation department and they are trying to find a way to
> control it (20 years to late in my opinon). While it thrives near water,
> it will grow almost anywhere. Any thoughts???

Well I don't know about the impacts on monarchs, but this weed, if it
is the same thing that I know as Japanese Knotweed, is a really nasty
problem.

It is really problematic over here too. One of the  local councils
near me employs a man specifically to deal with it.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn
Bog National Nature Reserve.