Monarch Extinction press releases.

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Nov 14 19:49:11 EST 2003

Neil Jones wrote:

> The threat to the overwintering colonies of Monarchs due to
> deforestation is pretty obvious. I don't find his pretty pictures
> convincing because he has been caught before carefully choosing
> images and misrepresenting them just to make a point.

Neil, about 35% of all the monarchs in Mexico stay at the El Rosario Reserve
Do you see any serious reduction in the forest cover at El Rosario between
1990 and 2002 in these paired photos?
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/19902002.jpg   Also, here is a close
up of the actual cluster trees at El Rosario. Note the beautiful condition of
the forest http://www.saber.net/~monarch/elrosarneil.jpg

Another 25% of all the monarchs in Mexico stay at the Chincua Reserve.
Here is a series of recent images of the reserve so you can see I am showing
everything and not "carefully selecting images":

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chin1.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chin2.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chin3.jpg

In summary, recent and past photographs of the major overwintering
colonies like El Rosario and Chincua show the forests are in excellent
condition and not being lost to logging / deforestation.

Paul Cherubini