FW: [leps-talk] Re: Monarch Extinction (substantial evidence?)

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Sun Nov 16 15:38:36 EST 2003

Norbert Kondla wrote:

> Personally, I would
> like to see some simple facts that back up the doomsayer predictions. If
> anyone has a handy weblink to those simple facts that support the
> doomsday scenario please share it.

I don't know of any such website.  The doomsayer scenarios appear to
be based on speculation as far as I can tell.

Here are two interesting infared satellite views of the overwintering area where
80% of all the monarchs overwinter in Mexico:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/20001973.jpg

One of these photos was taken in 1973. The other photo was taken in 2000.
Can you easily tell which of the two photos is which?

Or is it hard to tell because the amount of pine and fir forest that has
been cleared in recent decades has been relatively small.

Paul Cherubini