FW: [leps-talk] Re: Monarch Extinction (substantial evidence?)

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Mon Nov 17 00:37:03 EST 2003

Paul and Norman,

The doomsayers are may be wrong, but they appear to have quantitative
evidence about Monarch habitat loss. Paul is raising interesting points,
but he is not dealing with the quantitative analysis Brower's team gives us.

Paul, why don't you write a comment to Conservation Biology refuting the
peer-reviewed published papers of Lincoln Brower? Brower has sent us
these references. To suggest that it is pure speculation ignores that
work. If it is wrong, I want to know. If it is right I want to know. If
it is pure speculation, I wonder how it got past review. If it needs
more work, but makes a useful contribution, then help the work.

I have no vested interest in Brower's work. Nor do I have any special
awe for the famous. But science does not proceed by anecdote and
snapshots alone. If you can't deal clearly and openly with his papers,
by challenging them or adding to them or convincing others to do so,
then what is the point of the debate?

In a political debate, you get to intentionally misinterpret your
opponent. In science, you actually try to understand what your
"opponent" is saying. You try to build on it. So build something.

Patrick
patfoley at csus.edu