E-mail for Biól. Eligio Garcia Serrano

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 01:13:10 EST 2003

Can someone sendf me the e-mail for the Monarch Biologist Eligio García
Serrano?  Thanks.

Pat, Paul is playing with you.  Eligio is a top notch monarch biologist who
works (or did work) as Jefe Biologist in the Monarch Nature Preserve, and
regularly interacts with the national research community (e.g. of the ilk you
mention) as well as the international (with Brower, Oberhauser, Taylor, etc.).  I
believe he works for (or worked for) Geographer Roberto Solís, the Director of
the Preserve who I previously quoted regarding on how they have had success in
the nucleus areas of the preserves (Paul's photo).  Their scientific jobs are
related to the protection of the forest from cutting, which they have been
successful with in some of the the nuclei and buffer zones.  This includes
watching out for ever present tree cutting opportunists and helping support locals
as they adapt to the changing dynamics of the Protected Area.  Paul is most
probably pirating Eligio's photos without giving credit where it is deserved.
Muy malo, Paul, muy malo, ¡¡ eres incorrijible !!

Eligio says:

Hello Friends.  I am Eligio Garcia Serrano.  I am a Biologist and I work in
the Monarch Butterfly Nature Preserve.  I've been working with the Monarchs for
7 years (this is from 2000), and each year  I monitor all of the colonies.

First, I visit all of the sites where the Monarchs arrive and later I put
together a calendar of field trips to visit them.  First I measure the dimensions
of the colony, in the place it is situated.  For example, in what community,
state, site, date, altitude, wind conditions, cloud cover, exposure,
inclination, and the number of trees with butterflies.

Then we check out how the forest is doing, and what flora and fauna live in
the area of the Monarch colony, this is called "Structure and Composition of
the Forest" where the colony develops.  Then I work on a sketch of the colony
and lay out three transects to evaluate the mortality of each colony and check
why the buitterflies have died.  I develop this on a monthly basis I begin to
see when the butterflies return to the States and Canada.

Friends, I hope you are well and to see you soon.
Greetings from Mexico and the Monarchs, too.
Eligio Garcia Serrano

Best Monarching, Doug Dawn
Monterrey, Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 11/17/2003 6:24:58 PM Mexico Standard Time,
patfoley at csus.edu escribe: