Visit the monarch reserves

Jim Mason Jim at gpnc.org
Wed Oct 1 15:48:01 EDT 2003

I am offering to lead a trip to Mexico to see the overwintering Monarch
butterflies next February.  The trip will depart Friday the 20th and return
the following Wednesday the 25th.  The trip will be coordinated through
Spirit of Butterflies Tours* and will cost $1,500 per participant, which
covers all lodging and meals but excludes airfare.  Our in-country guide
will be Jose Luis Alvarez of the La Cruz Habitat Protection Project.  Your
trip fee includes a donation to that charity, which funds the replanting of
forests in the areas surrounding the monarch reserves.

Continental offers a two-hop connection from Wichita (ICT) to Morelia (MLM)
for ~$570 round trip (booked through Expedia), so if you add in incidental
costs (souvenirs, etc.) folks departing from Wichita should pay less than
$2,500 total for the tour.  Jose Luis will transport us to and from Morelia.

Seeing tens of millions of Monarch butterflies at their overwintering
reserves is one of the top natural history spectacles in North America!  If
you are interested in going, or if you know of someone else who might be
interested, please contact me.  My contact info is below.

Jim Mason, Naturalist
Jim at gpnc.org
Great Plains Nature Center
6232 E. 29th Street North
Wichita, KS 67220-2200
316-683-5499 x103 - voice
316-688-9555 - fax
www.gpnc.org

* To reserve your spot on the tour, contact Maraleen Manos-Jones with Spirit
of Butterflies Tours at 718-398-3096.  Be sure to mention this itinerary and
that you want to be part of the tour led by Jim Mason,