Great year for the Monarch

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Oct 3 03:10:14 EDT 2003

From: "Dale Clark" <nardoz at earthlink.net>
To: dplex-l at listproc.cc.ku.edu
Subject: Monarchs in Dallas, Texas
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003

October 2, 2003 - Thousands of monarchs were streaming through
Dallas after a cool front came through the night before.  This has
been one of the largest migrations I've seen here in years.  At the
Texas Discovery Gardens in Fair Park, where we are doing a monarch
tagging demonstration everyday during the State Fair of Texas (to
coincide with our tropical live butterfly exhibit) the gardens were
inundated with monarchs.  Hundreds covered the Mexican Sage, pentas
and verbena, stopping fair-goers in their tracks.  It was an impossible
site for even people who have had no interest in butterflies to ignore.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasbutterflies.com