Fwd: Re: Status of Mexican Sanctuaries

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 16:07:20 EDT 2003

More information on the problems at the Mexican monarch sanctuaries.
Subject: Re: Status of Mexican Sanctuaries
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:04:22 -0500
From: Chip Taylor <chip at ku.edu>
To: <dplex-l at listproc.cc.ku.edu>

>What is the status of the preservation of the Monarch reserves in
>Mexico?  There have been several reports from Mexico that have
>been listed on this site.  From reading them, I am getting the
>impression that there is still an on-going struggle to maintain the
>integrity of the reserves and that there is still a tremendous
>amount of damage that is being done in illegal logging despite the
>increased efforts of the Mexican government.

Assuring the integrity of the the Monarch Biosphere Reserve is
ongoing struggle. Logging continues, some legal and some illegal.
Unfortunately, curbing the activities of the illegal loggers is
becoming more difficult for the local authorities. The loggers are
well organized and use cell phones and an extensive communication
system to keep ahead of the law enforcement agencies.

>One of the best ways to keep up with developments in Mexico is to
>subscribe to the MW email updates or to view them on the web site.
>Each month over the winter the updates will contain an article by
>Jordi Honey Roses of the World Wildlife Fund Mexico. Jordi is in the
>thick of the conservation efforts in Mexico and is in a good
>position to provide a balanced view of the status of Monarch
>Reserves. In his next report Jordi will detail the radical shake up
>in the administration of President Fox. The changes instituted by
>President Fox may have a significant impact on the preservation of
>the forests within the Biosphere Reserve.

Chip

--
Monarch Watch
e:  monarch at ku.edu
w:http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ku.edu
p: 1 (888) TAGGING (toll-free!) -or- 1 (785) 864 4441
f: 1  (785) 864 5321
usps:  University of Kansas, Entomology Program, 1200 Sunnyside
Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045-7534

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve