[leps-talk] Credible sources

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Wed Oct 8 18:43:09 EDT 2003

Ken Davenport wrote:

> In the end, as Ron Gatrelle commented...the Monarchs                                                                                                                         > (or other butterfly species) are the ultimate witnesses or authorities.

Yes, but how can the public find out how well the monarch is
doing?  They must rely on the monarch scientists / conservationists
to tell them the results of the monarch population measurements that
have been conducted at the overwintering sites in Mexico.  These
measurements have been  carried out annually since 1978, so 25 years
worth of monarch census data is available. But what monarch
scientist / conservationist has ever been willing to share this
information with the public? Answer: None of them have.

You can visit Dr. Brower's Monarch Santuary Foundation website,
or Dr. Chip Taylor's Monarch Watch website or the Michoacan
Reforestation Project website, Journey North website, etc. and
find little or only fragmentary census data results posted. So the public
is left in the dark about how well the monarch is doing even though
the public ultimately pays for this census work.

Likewise, how can the public find out the condition of the forests
where the monarchs overwinter? Once again they must rely on the
monarch scientists / conservationists to tell them and to show them
photos.  But what monarch scientist / conservationist has ever been
willing to share the key photos they have of the forests (SW facing
slopes) where the monarchs overwinter? Answer: None of them have.
They show lots and lots of photos of forest clearings due to logging
or forest fires, http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chivati.JPG
but these clearings are nearly all on north slopes which the monarchs
don't use or on slopes below the altitude where the monarchs
overwinter. So the public almost never gets to see pictures of the
condition of the forest on the SW facing slopes where the monarchs
actually cluster.

Finally, how can the public find out about water and flower nectar
resources the butterflies use while in Mexico? Once again they must rely
on the monarch scientists / conservationists to tell them and to show
them photos.  But what monarch scientist / conservationist has ever been
willing to share the key photos they have that indicate that the chief
water /bflower nectar sources are found (ironically) on ground where the
forest has been cleared for human uses such as agriculture and road
building?  Answer: None of them have.

I have done a few things here and there to try and correct the situation.
Like I put together this graph of the monarch census data going back to
1985: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/mexicopop.jpg The graph is
still incomplete and has some data gaps that need to be filled in, but
it's a start and it shows the public the monarch in not headed down
the path to extinction as they so often hear from the conservation
societies http://www.saber.net/~monarch/wwf.jpg  And rather than
misleading the public by showing them only forest clearings like this
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/kurt1.JPG  below the altitude where the
monarchs overwinter, I show them the outstanding condition of the
forest higher up on the SW slopes where the butterflies actually
overwinter: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chincuadis.JPG
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/elrosariodis.jpg  With regard to water
resources, I show the public that the patches of forest that have been
logged to grow corn also provide moist ground for the butterflies to
obtain drinking water http://www.saber.net/~monarch/meadow.JPG
And I show that monarchs use roads that humans have built through
the forest as a pathway down to these water sources:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/monarchhighway.jpg
Lastly, whereas the conservationists constantly speculate about
how forest thinning is probably correlated with monarch mortality
during snowstorms and freezes http://www.saber.net/~monarch/wwf.jpg
I show an actual photo taken after the worst-ever die off in Jan. 2002,
that shows butterfly mortality was high, ironically, where the forest
cover was very dense http://www.saber.net/~monarch/chincuaintact.jpg

My input on all this tend to anger the monarch scientists / conservationists.
Privately they call me a "spoiler" and publicly some call me a "conspiracy
theorist"  "oddball"  "laughing stock" and such.

Paul Cherubini