[leps-talk] Credible sources

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Thu Oct 9 14:23:14 EDT 2003

Although more research is needed, possibly along the lines Patrick
suggested, I think until then Paul's time series could provide some
valuable general information concerning the alleged demise of the
Monarch migrations, but only if, as Patrick suggested, we can know more
about the data making up the time series.

For example, random measurement error in the dependent variable will not
result in a biased estimate. The dependent variable in this case could
be a measurement of the roosting area by a technician. Differences
between technicians will increase variability and affect significance
test but it will still give unbiased and consistent estimates. If this
was the only factor affecting the reliability of the data, conceptually
one could develop a model that might explain whether the current drop in
migration numbers, although comparable in magnitude to the numbers at
the start of the series, is human caused. Or could the migratory numbers
at the beginning and end of the series be the result of a common cause,
such as climate, solar variation (a wild one), geomagnetic activity
(causing some adults to lose their way during migration, another wild
one), etc.

On the other hand, measurement error in the independent variable will
lead to inconsistent and biased parameter estimates. The independent
variable in this case would be the technique, such as a photograph of a
roosting area, used as a measure of the  number of adults. However,
there will be measurement area if the numbers of adults represented by
this area is a complex function of other variables, such as thinning,
new growth, etc., that is not taken into account. Also, changes in
measurement techniques (such as outright sample counting instead of a
photograph) could result in measurement area. For example, if the large
migratory population in the middle of Paul's time series is the result
of researchers having learned how to best measure migration size during
the beginning of the time period, then the more recent drop in numbers
(although comparable to the magnitude level at the beginning of the
series) would be something to be even more concerned about.
Stan