Size of the overwintering monarch populations - published data.

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Oct 10 13:27:23 EDT 2003

Dr. Chip Taylor wrote:

> Measurement of some of the monarch colonies began in the
> late 70's but there was no attempt to travel to and measure
> all of the colonies until the winter of 1995/96.

Measurement of the top three largest colonies where about 80%
of all the monarchs overwinter in Mexico began in the late 1970's
and continued nearly uninterrupted for approx. 25 years to the
present.  Therefore a 20-25 year record of the annual monarch population
fluctuations at the key colonies in Mexico is available.  However,
to my knowledge, none of the monarch scientists / conservationists
have ever displayed this data to the public, granting agencies, foundations
or government officials who make funding decisions in regard
to monarch conservation issues. The data shows a stable population
trend.  Good news.  So why not show it to the public?

> The precise locations and extent of the deforestation is being
> documented in several ways and the evidence bearing on this
> will be presented in the future.

If the deforestation due to logging is serious and obvious and
occurring on the SW slopes at the altitude where the butterflies
overwinter, why hasn't any monarch scientist / conservationist
to date ever presented pictures of it in their lectures, newsletters,
websites, symposiums, press releases, movies, etc?   Historical
photos taken from both the air and the ground are available. So why
not show these photos to the public?  These photos could help the
public, granting agencies, foundations, etc. decide if the alledged
deforestation problem is serious or trivial and in turn whether or not
the monarch migration is in imminent danger of extinction as Dr.
Dr. Brower has been warning / predicting:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/extinction.jpg

Paul Cherubini