Size of the overwintering monarch populations - published data.

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Sun Oct 12 21:25:10 EDT 2003

Chip Taylor wrote:

> Watch Season Summary. Measurement of some of the monarch colonies
> began in the late 70's but there was no attempt to travel to and
> measure all of the colonies until the winter of 1995/96. Some of these
> data were published previously in the

This is interesting. In a previous message I said regarding Paul's time
series:
"For example, if the large migratory population in the middle of Paul's
time series is the result of researchers having learned how to best
measure migration size during the beginning of the time period, then the
more recent drop in numbers (although comparable to the magnitude level
at the beginning of the series) would be something to be even more
concerned about. "

So, I am wondering (as I speculated), is the drop as shown in recent
numbers, which correspond in general magnitude to the counts at the
beginning of the series, something to be even more concerned about?
Stan